Super Simple Chocolate Cupcakes
- 100g butter
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
60g unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp cocoa, sifted
1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C conventional or 160°C fan-forced. Line cupcake tins with cases.
- Using a mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy and fluffy. Gradually add eggs and mix until just combined.
- Combine flour, cocoa and bicarbonate soda. Add to creamed mixture with milk. Beat until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into liners until each case is one third full. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
To make the chocolate butter cream
- Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar and cocoa and combine well. Beat in milk until mixture is fluffy.
These cupcakes are super quick and have a light fluffy texture.
Do not overfill the cases otherwise you won't get 18 cupcakes out of this recipe.
If you want a thicker dollop of icing on top then you'lll need to increase the amounts in the buttercream recipe.