Now here's a great idea for the family. Kids and adults will love these. They look and taste fabulous and you can also use the recipe for white chocolate brownies as a substitute for the chocolate http://forbakessake.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/white-winter-chocolate-brownies.html
You can use ready-made brownie bites or bake a pan of your favourite brownies. I whipped up some vanilla-mascarpone buttercream to simulate the white trim on the hats But you can use your own flavour buttercream if it suits. Voila! A festive dessert to get everyone into the spirit of the holidays. It really is beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!
1 pan of your favourite brownies, cooled and cut into desired size and shape (I used a round cutter)
12-16 small strawberries, cleaned and hulled
vanilla-mascarpone buttercream (recipe below)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
2-1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of salt
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter and mascarpone cheese until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and salt.
- Add 2-1/2 cups of sugar, half a cup at a time and continue beating until smooth.
- Add more sugar, if needed to reach desired consistency and sweetness.
- To assemble, pipe a ring of vanilla buttercream on top of each brownie. Cut off the base of a strawberry so it is flat and place it upside down on each brownie, pushing slightly to secure in place.
- Top the tip of the strawberry with a dot of buttercream to finish the Santa hat.